Dental Fillings & Restorations
We offer a variety of dental fillings ranging from small tooth-colour resin fillings to large custom made porcelain fillings to match the colour of your teeth as closely as possible. Whether it's old amalgams or stained and chipped plastic fillings that need replacing, we have the solution for you! We ensure the quality of our fillings hence we are willing to give guarantees on our work in most cases. Metallic fillings (including gold fillings) are also available for special circumstances or at patient's request.
What is a Filling?
A filling is a material that is placed in a cleaned cavity inside a tooth.
Why Do I Need a Filling?
The most common reason for a filling is decay. If a cavity or decay has been identified in a tooth it is important to address is as soon as possible to prevent progression of the decay which can lead to more severe problems.
Sometimes a tooth has cracked or chipped and requires repair to prevent further damage to the remaining tooth structure
What Materials Are Used?
At Queen Street Dental we offer a wide range of filling materials suited to your needs:
This is the most common material used and is a form of plastic – it is a white filling material. Composite resin is the closest material we have that mimics tooth structure that can bond/stick to the tooth.
This is the dark metallic fillings that were often used. It is high in strength and is used in selective cases only.
- Porcelain fillings are ideal for most large fillings where strength is important – it is a white filling material
- Porcelain fillings require 2 appointments
1: prepare the tooth/cavity and take an impression from which a filling will be made to fit perfectly
2: cement the filling in/on the tooth
Gold / Metals
- Gold/Metal fillings are fantastic in larger but shallow fillings in areas that are under a lot of force, generally in the back teeth
- Like Porcelain fillings they require 2 appointments to prepare the tooth and then again to cement the filling
- Gold/Metal fillings are very durable